Thursday, June 19, 2008

T.I.A.

Jambo Rafikis! The time has finally come, after roughly 22 hours of airplane rides and an hour bus ride from the airport, I arrived safely in Moshi, Tanzania. The people are so nice and the culture in general is great. The first day was extremely busy. We intentially took the first full day off so that we could get rested up from all of the flights. We got to the Church around 10 AM and talked to some of the readers and had an information meeting. I met so many people the first day, but surprisingly the names weren't too hard to remember. My favorite people were Samwell and Benjaman. They are 12 and 13, but they look like they're about 8 or 9. I played football with them in the street and I gave them "pipi" or candy (you can bet the guys on my team had a fun time with that one :) We had some down time so we went to some of the shops by the church (the church is located in downtown Moshi) and Allen met this girl named Nikki at an internet cafe, who just graduated from high school in California. She took us to an orphanage that she had been working at, so we got to play with the kids. That was such an amazing experience. I think we're going to go to another one on our day off. Right now I have 4 readers signed up with me personally and one of them is named Reagan! He didn't believe me and I offered to show him my passport, but he was too embarassed to actually make me take it out, haha. I told him that "reagan" meant "little king" and he got really excited about that because he didn't know, so he went around telling people. Charles and Florence or "Mama Flo" are wonderful hosts, with a beautiful home that has a breathtaking view of Kilimanjaro. They life kind of in the countryside and the first thing I noticed on the ride out there was the tremendous amount of sunflowers. Rows and rows of sunflowers everywhere, it was like I was in Kansas!
Right now it's 10:30 AM in Moshi on Thursday morning, and we are going to plan our first party for the readers to have tomorrow, so that will be fun. My team gets along really great and we're having a lot of fun with the town people and the church, oh and food is WONDERFUL, and soo filling. T.I.A., This is Africa!
more later

reagan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome ace, it's good to hear that your work for God is going so well, keep it up! i love your stories!