Friday, June 20, 2008

Mo-town

So many stories, so little time! Moshi, or "Mo-town" as some of the locals call it, is still wonderful and we're learning more kswahili every day. We had our first party with our readers yesterday. 40 people showed up, which was pretty good for the first week. Braden and I went to go find a grocery store and bought cookies and then we got pop from the church, and they loved the sweets. I met a lot more people and they are starting to get to know us pretty well. Little Benjaman hung out with Micah and I and he started calling us his "didi mozungos" or "white sisters" haha, he is awesome. Tomorrow is our first church service at the church so I'm really pumped about that.
It's really funny how this trip all worked out. Originally we were supposed to go to Awasa, Ethiopia, but came here. I was thinking about what it would have been like if we didn't come here...Allen would have never met Nikki. I'll expand on that story. She is 18 and came to Moshi to help people just because she wanted to, she isn't a Christian. Actually, her dad is an athiest and she never really mentioned her mom. A lot of us talked to her different times about religion and while we were at the orphanage she got a call from her dad saying that her grandpa died three days before, but they just now could get ahold of her. She took it pretty hard, so we circled up and said a prayer for her, and she was really thankful for that. We invited her and Baraka (another friend, who is a Masai) to our house for dinner and she went on to talk about how her gradfather was a very religous man, but that she never really had anything to do with God. The more we talked to her the more we could tell that she wanted or needed someone to turn to, so we sang some songs and tried encouraging her. She left for Greece the next day, but hopefully we helped in some way. I just think it's funny how we would have never crossed paths if we had gone with our original plan. God works in crazy ways.

No comments: